What is blepharitis? It is a common inflammatory disorder of the eyelid edges.
What causes it? It may be associated with some scalp conditions, such as very dry or oily skin and dandruff.
What does it look like?
- Eyelid edges are red.
- Whitish scales may stick to the roots of the eyelashes.
- Eyes may be burning, sore or itchy.
How can I make it better? You will need to remove all the crusts and debris from the edge of your eyelids and from between your eyelashes.
- Antibiotic ointment may be recommended in severe cases.
What do I use?
- You can buy eyelid cleaning products such as ‘Blephasol’, ‘Blephagel’ or ‘Blephaclean’.
- You need to keep on top of Blepharitis, just like dandruff! If you stop using the medicated shampoo’s it comes back!
- You can get these products from our practice – These products are preservative free and are the very best in keeping control over Blepharitis and caring for your eyes.
- In some cases symptoms of Dry Eye are noticeable due to the debris around the lashes, unfortunately Dry Eye and Blepharitis are very good friends and usually occur together. See our section on Dry Eye for more information.