What is Dry Eye?
Dry Eye is a common eye condition that includes differing symptoms:
Dry Eye means that your eyes may not be making enough tears, that the tears which are being produced are of poor quality or that the tears that are produced evaporate away.
The normal function of tears is to keep the surface of the eye wet and lubricated so any shortage of tears or reduction in their quality can produce a gritty, burning sensation of the eyes and can also disturb vision.
The symptoms of Dry Eye syndrome may include:
What are the causes of dry eye:
Dry Eye can be caused by a wide variety of everyday factors and include:
- Dry environment and pollution
- Computer use
- Contact lens wear
- Eye surgery
- Hormonal changes, especially in women e.g. menopause
- Dry Eye may also be symptomatic of general health problems or disease e.g. people with arthritis are more prone to Dry Eye
- Certain types of medications can contribute to dry eye occurring.
What can I use?
- Preservative free eye drops that offer protection, lubrication and comfort without any nasty chemicals. Lubricated eyes are happy eyes and a daily routine of popping some in will really help. There are sprays available if you are not very good with drops.
- A hot compress to help the blocked glands flow and be less irritated. Using cotton pads or a flannel and some clean boiled water (but let it cool a smidge first!). You soak the pad in the hot water and hold it over your eye, expect to get water all over your face, and to you will have to repeat the soaking process as the pad will cool quite rapidly and do it for around 10 mins. It can be a bit of a faff.
- We highly recommend a microwaveable The Eye Bag – a reusable bit of kit that doesn’t require messing about with hot water. You pop it in the microwave to heat up and place over the eyes and relax for 10 mins, massaging around the lids afterwards helps unblock glands and this also helps with the symptoms of Blepharitis, which goes hand in hand with Dry Eye.
We stock a wide range of eye care products to alleviate Dry Eye symptoms. We recommend Hyabak, Thealoz Duo and Thealoz Duo Gel which are all preservative free